• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

Toning arms

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lysis

Bluelighter
So, I was watching TV when I noticed some amazing arms on some girls. I'm tired of bland arms, but whenever I try to work some arm exercises I never see any results and give up. I have a treadmill in my house for cardio or I can jog around my neighborhood, but I have nothing that is effective for arms.

Are there any arm exercises that work on biceps and triceps that are doable in the home? I don't want bulky muscles. I'm just looking to tone them up a little so that they have tiny muscles, if that makes any sense.

Any girls (or guys of course) have any awesome exercises for the arms that would be good to do after some cardio?

I picked up a set of those perfect push-up things they'd been showing on t.v lately, and I have to say I really like it. I've been doing it for a couple weeks and have noticed a difference in my arms, chest, and back. Not bulky manly difference, just more tone. I'm sure if I actually used my treadmill or some sort of cardio as well I'd see even more of a difference. They aren't to expensive either, and they the turning motion that they provide while doing push-ups really does help if you have wrist pain, etc...

I forgot to add, I've also been using 5 pound weights for arm exercise as well, look around online to find some good info on what can be done with them. Again, I haven't seen any gross manly look since doing these arm exercises. (which apparently is very difficult for women to achieve anyway).

http://exercise.about.com/cs/exerciseworkouts/l/blarmsshoulders.htm

the ability to target muscles very specifically with free weights will allow you to exercise a lot of control over how your arms will shape up, so i'd go for some dumbbells myself

I used to love doing pull-ups. They were one of my favorite exercises. I used to be able to do 8 pull-ups in a row, from arms completely outstretched below the bar to chin completely above the bar. But, man, pull-ups are hard. Your heart rate skyrockets while doing them. I don't know if that would be a good thing for stimulant users or not. The 3 times I smoked crack, my heart felt out-of-it for 5 or 6 days. I don't know if doing pull-ups would have been wise during those 5 or 6 days.

And I only smoked 0.15 to 0.33 gram each time.

Last edited:
Are there any arm exercises that work on biceps and triceps that are doable in the home?
You have to do more than bicep/tricep work for great looking arms. My arms are a work in progress with a decent base. It took a year of upper body training 4-5 days a week to get to this point.

I would suggest buying dumbbells and check out this site.
http://www.sport-fitness-advisor.com/dumbellexercises.html

Don't get discouraged. Keep it up!

For triceps I've found a combination of bench press, dips, and tricep pulldowns work well. For biceps pullups/chinups, reverse bicep curls and standing row work well.

For biceps pullups/chinups,

Does anyone know the distinction between pull-ups and chin-ups? Aren't pull-ups when you grip the bar with your palms facing toward you? And chin-ups when you grip the bar with palms facing away from you?

I usually did palms facing away. I can't think of an exercise that shoots my heart rate up so much so fast.

Last edited:
Thanks everyone. I'm gonna try some of these suggestions starting Monday. Hopefully, I see just a little bit of results so I keep going.

PI, how long before you saw results when you first started?

First, theres no such thing as "toning", thats just some annoying little word personal trainers started using to advertise to people who dont know any better. There are really only 3 things you can do in regards to body composition: gain fat or muscle, lose fat or muscle, or maintain fat and muscle. Being "toned" just means having a lower bodyfat %. Which brings me to the reason you never see results: you dont pay any attention to your diet. Having nice arms is a result of the right combination of muscle and fat. Muscle will come from doing the right exercises while eating more calories then your body burns in a day, while trimming away excess fat will come from eating less then your body needs in a day. Obviously, you can only do one of these things at a time. Expect to get a little rounder around the midsection in the process of adding muscle, but always with the knowledge that this is all necessary and temporary until you achieve a solid level of muscle. Then you cut down and if all goes well, there are those perfect arms. The right exercise for you is going to depend on what kind of equipment you have access to, if you have access to free weights, then overhead presses, rows, bench presses and face pulls will be your friends. Isolation work might be helpfull, but youll probably find those exercises to be enough, at least at first. If no freeweights (and you should actually still be doing these either way) chins ups (with palms facing towards you, palms away omits alot of bicep involvement), dips, push-ups, and inverted rows (google) should be okay.

Another thing, you say :

"I have a treadmill in my house for cardio or I can jog around my neighborhood, but I have nothing that is effective for arms."

Which seems to imply that jogging is effective for something. This is wrong, and i hope to god your intention isnt to "tone" your legs either, cause i dont think id be able to handle that. The fact is, long slow distance training is a really crappy way of improving cardiovascular work capacity, or v02 max. You could easily accomplish more in 20 min of high intensity interval training then you could in 1 hour of long slow distance training. So with that in mind i would say HIIT all the way. HIIT can be different things, like sprint intervals (all out effort for 1 min, rest 2 repeat = 1 set) or bodyweight/barbell complexes (5 pull ups 10 push ups 15 squats as many round in 20 min), anything involving an intense effort and then a short rest /repeat.

"the ability to target muscles very specifically with free weights will allow you to exercise a lot of control over how your arms will shape up, so i'd go for some dumbbells myself "

Seemingly, seemingly, to the untrained eye. But isolation exercises arent very taxing to the CNS, and so the endocrine response is much more blunted then it would be if you were doing pull ups for biceps, or presses for triceps, because they involve much more of the body. If your saying isolations will promote symmetry, well, complete elbow flexion is complete elbow flexion, and the degree of contraction doesnt really differ enough between a pull up and a curl to make a difference to a newbie.

I have been blessed with pretty toned arms.

but I keep them up to par with very minimalist gym workouts. if you are a member of a gym I would just do what I do, and that is run a mile and a half right away to stretch - then designate the remainder of your time there for your arms (the next day abs, the next day legs).

the best arm workouts are with the gym circuit machinery. they have so many different crazy positions, and little muscles on your back and upper arms that you can't really hit with free weights. just do ten reps of one machine, then move to the next.

First, theres no such thing as "toning", thats just some annoying little word personal trainers started using to advertise to people who dont know any better. There are really only 3 things you can do in regards to body composition: gain fat or muscle, lose fat or muscle, or maintain fat and muscle. Being "toned" just means having a lower bodyfat %. Which brings me to the reason you never see results: you dont pay any attention to your diet. Having nice arms is a result of the right combination of muscle and fat. Muscle will come from doing the right exercises while eating more calories then your body burns in a day, while trimming away excess fat will come from eating less then your body needs in a day. Obviously, you can only do one of these things at a time. Expect to get a little rounder around the midsection in the process of adding muscle, but always with the knowledge that this is all necessary and temporary until you achieve a solid level of muscle. Then you cut down and if all goes well, there are those perfect arms. The right exercise for you is going to depend on what kind of equipment you have access to, if you have access to free weights, then overhead presses, rows, bench presses and face pulls will be your friends. Isolation work might be helpfull, but youll probably find those exercises to be enough, at least at first. If no freeweights (and you should actually still be doing these either way) chins ups (with palms facing towards you, palms away omits alot of bicep involvement), dips, push-ups, and inverted rows (google) should be okay.

Another thing, you say :

"I have a treadmill in my house for cardio or I can jog around my neighborhood, but I have nothing that is effective for arms."

Which seems to imply that jogging is effective for something. This is wrong, and i hope to god your intention isnt to "tone" your legs either, cause i dont think id be able to handle that. The fact is, long slow distance training is a really crappy way of improving cardiovascular work capacity, or v02 max. You could easily accomplish more in 20 min of high intensity interval training then you could in 1 hour of long slow distance training. So with that in mind i would say HIIT all the way. HIIT can be different things, like sprint intervals (all out effort for 1 min, rest 2 repeat = 1 set) or bodyweight/barbell complexes (5 pull ups 10 push ups 15 squats as many round in 20 min), anything involving an intense effort and then a short rest /repeat.

"the ability to target muscles very specifically with free weights will allow you to exercise a lot of control over how your arms will shape up, so i'd go for some dumbbells myself "

Seemingly, seemingly, to the untrained eye. But isolation exercises arent very taxing to the CNS, and so the endocrine response is much more blunted then it would be if you were doing pull ups for biceps, or presses for triceps, because they involve much more of the body. If your saying isolations will promote symmetry, well, complete elbow flexion is complete elbow flexion, and the degree of contraction doesnt really differ enough between a pull up and a curl to make a difference to a newbie.

Spot on response! You touched on lots of things that the general public (and lots of crappy trainers) are mixed up on. It's absolutely true, there is no such thing as "tone". It is only a products of low body fat and high muscle content.

Isolation exercises do not adequately tax the body and therefore don't promote much of a response. As with I tell anyone asking about adding muscle, train for strength with squats, deadlifts, bench presses, shoulder presses and pull ups. I assure you, as a woman, you do not have the hormone makeup to get bulky.

Stick with exercises that include multiple joints and alternate between heavy weight with low reps and light weight with high reps. Get your diet in check and you'll be well on your way to great looking arms.

PI, how long before you saw results when you first started?
Small changes...6 months. To get what I have now 12 months. That time line keeps me in perspective when I look at other body parts and expect change. Exercise is a lifestyle. However, my upper body had the least amount of fat so definition was easier to see/achieve.

I have been blessed with pretty toned arms.

but I keep them up to par with very minimalist gym workouts. if you are a member of a gym I would just do what I do, and that is run a mile and a half right away to stretch - then designate the remainder of your time there for your arms (the next day abs, the next day legs).

the best arm workouts are with the gym circuit machinery. they have so many different crazy positions, and little muscles on your back and upper arms that you can't really hit with free weights. just do ten reps of one machine, then move to the next.

Not even close. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qQ3nr7mzp4o&feature=related Cliffs: Circut training on machines is garbage next to barbell training.

And running a mile and a half is not a good warm-up. The best way to warm-up is to first foam roll the muscles you plan to use, then stretch them dynamically, then warm yourself up (increase core body temperature) on a treadmill, bike, rowing machine etc.. for no more time then it takes to literally get warm, and then do some light sets with just the bar of the first exercise your going to do to stretch and prepare the muscles involved and fix any technique problems.

Amebix, I read your post and thanks. I'm really clueless when it comes to proper exercising. I go through a cycle of working out for a month and GAINING weight. I don't weigh myself, but I can feel it in my clothes. I get frustrated and quit working out and I see my weight drop fast. It's not a lot of weight, but I suppose it's like 5-10 lbs.

I made a resolution to go back since I haven't worked out since my BF died, but I only just recently decided to get my lazy ass up. I realize that a year kills you. I am sooo sore and holy shit I can't even do HALF of my jog distance that I could before.

I almost joined a gym, but didn't since I got fired, so I am limited in options. I have a couple of free weight barbells around here somewhere.

^I actually just got this book in the mail yesterday, "Building the gymnastic body", and its all about getting really great workouts that get you stronger and better looking with no more equipment then a chin up bar and a floor. Its a really great book, and the stuff inside can easily take you as far as weight training can. The site for it is http://gymnasticbodies.com/home.html if your interested, good article to check out would be http://gymnasticbodies.com/articles1.html

eh? you feel like clarifying this, maybe with some good tips? ;)

eh? you feel like clarifying this, maybe with some good tips? ;)

Basically the hormonal response is greater with compound exercises then it is with isolation exercises, and so for best results compound movements (movements involving more then one joint) should form the bulk of your routine. You said also that freeweights would allow you to exercise your muscles in specific ways and give you more control over how your muscles grow, but stimulating a muscle is stimulation a muscle, and it doesnt really matter if it comes from a tricep extension or a press, because fundamentally theyre both performing the same action, extending the elbow.

Status
Not open for further replies.